NES Classic

Forums Gaming Retro Gaming NES Classic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dale 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Head Counselor
    Topic Starter

Dale
    @spook

Let me start with this: http://www.recknews.com/2017/04/nintendo-discontinues-nes-classic-edition/

@FistoftheWind and I started talking about it last night, what’s Nintendo’s deal? What about it do they just not get?

I haven’t seen an NES Classic in stock since the release and now they’re discontinuing it. They clearly sold out and the Switch isn’t doing great (figures, look at the offerings, but that’s another topic..) so what would possess them to tuck tail and run? I didn’t desire one exactly but I knew people who did and you would only find one from a scalper piece of shit on Craigslist or eBay.

In the wake of this, I’ve heard recently of a new SNES game on the horizon. Can others do better than Nintendo themselves?

I could rant on but let’s get this moving first, your thoughts?

What's good isn't easy, what's easy isn't necessarily good.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Head Counselor
    Topic Starter

Dale
    @spook

I needed a 360 disc repaired and it got me thinking that I hate discs and prefer cartridges. I hate discs all around. I love the artwork of blu-rays and CD’s but they’re too vulnerable.

They could surely make cartridges hold more than they did back then since they can make drives and chips smaller. I’ve heard that a lot of money would have to go into recreating the old hardware, and I get why you wouldn’t want to since we’ve come so far since, but could someone not take it as a base and expand upon it and it play old games and allow for new ones the same?

If it’s already being done, excuse my post.

Returning Camper

Ryan
    @fistofthewind

It’d be nice if Sega themselves would handle the development and everything for a mini genesis. I saw that Atgames is doing this one as well and if you’re familiar with them you know their reputation is less than stellar due to shoddy emulation on their Genesis clones.

They really need to invest in getting the closest possible emulation they can if they’re not going to replicate hardware itself. Until they do that I don’t see the Atgames Sega clones ever getting as big as the Nes or rumored SNES mini.

Returning Camper

Ryan
    @fistofthewind

Nintendo always confounds me with their business practices. I know they’ve stated after the fact that the nes classic was meant to be more of a holiday item. But once they saw the clear runaway success of the nes classic, wouldn’t you open the gates for this to be a regular offering? I mean, they’re in this business to make money right?

I could see an snes classic having similar success, maybe even more so, but if they continue this limited run/edition practice it’s going to damage consumer confidence in projects like this. It feels like they’re supporting eBay scalper activity more than their direct consumers.

Head Counselor
    Topic Starter

Dale
    @spook

I hope scalpers get left with tons of them and no one who wants them, for the SNES as well. I’m no hater but if you’re buying up things just to be an asshole…. I get it financially but that doesn’t mean it’s decent. You don’t absolutely have to be a piranha.

Something similar:

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.